ecocabs cycles coast 2 coast services is located in the heart of stunning Northumberland, based approximately halfway along one of the country’s most beautiful and historic routes. The world famous C2C route can be a challenging route, but rest assured that our team have decades of experience in transporting bikes, and can assist in all aspects of planning your adventure to maximise your enjoyment along this iconic trail.
C2C is the most popular cycling route in the UK and is also said to be the most difficult. That being said, any experienced cyclist – with a decent level of fitness and the will to push on up a handful of steep hills for a mile or two – can ride it and bask in the adrenaline-filled feeling of triumph at the end!
This rewarding ‘bucket list’ trail takes you across the breadth of Britain – from the West across to the East. There is a tradition to dip your toes before starting, in the Irish Sea, then again when you finish, in the North Sea. Later it became custom, by Purists, to dip your bicycle wheels instead.
The first few miles of the trail follows a well made surface path that will gently ease you into your rhythm for the day. Quiet lanes follow an old railway line, passing small chocolate-box villages and sculptured bridges.
As you follow the path down the bridleways towards the Lake District, you will be able to take in the immense views of the rugged fell mountains – which paint the backdrop of the 16 lakes (including the beautiful Lake Windermere). There will be plenty of picturesque and private locations for photographs, a picnic or breather along the way. The terrain is mainly rolling, but the first major climb to Whinlatter Pass awaits – before you begin to wind your way down through the Thornthwaite Forest and into the iconic market town of Keswick.
You can decide whether to travel on or off road for the next few miles through the Eden Valley; cycling through lush green countryside, traditional towns, and attractive sandstone villages – before reaching the most mountainous part of the route. The first and steepest to encounter is Hartside, from where there are magnificent views across the Solway Firth to Scotland. If the 580m Hartside climb wasn’t challenging enough, you will soon reach the highest part of the C2C on the Black Hill – 609m above sea level.
Pedal down Waskerley Way to undertake your journey through the more industrial landscape of the North East. With awe inspiring views of the sweeping moorland whilst travelling down mostly traffic-free roads.
The final leg of the journey is predominantly flat and comfortably metropolitan with fine views across the River Wear.
What We Can Offer
- Bike transfer from Tynemouth or Newcastle Central Station to Whitehaven harbour to start your trip. Other pick up locations available on request.
- All baggage transfers between accommodation
- Route Maps and GPX file
- List of bike shops and places to visit en-route
- Phone support available from 7am to 10pm daily
- Emergency support – to help you in your moment of need
- Transfer from Tynemouth to Newcastle at the end of the experience
- Transfer for riders and bikes to your home or accommodation
- Ride from coast to coast on an iconic route.
- Travel through quaint villages, historic market towns and bustling cities.
- Experience the unspoilt Northumberland landscapes, taking in some of the most dramatic and wild countryside in England.
- Enjoying the view and a well-earned rest at the top of Hartside Pass.
- Experiencing the wild, unspoilt and remote Northern Pennines.
- Conquering the challenging hills and reaping the rewards of the exhilarating descents.
Why Choose This Route
- The most popular long-distance cycling route in the UK, on most cyclist’s bucket list and provides challenge and reward in equal measure.
- The route travels through a variety of landscapes, offering alternate paths depending on fitness levels.
- Numerous interesting places to visit and stay on the route so there’s always the option to cycle at a leisurely pace over more days.
The Coast to Coast route can take anywhere between 1 to 5 days to complete. It is important that your evening accommodation is reached in a safe, enjoyable manner, therefore we can provide you few recommendations for you to consider depending on your planned daily mileage.
ecocabs and ecocabs cycles work both in the public and private sectors, working with some of the largest employers in the North East. We can offer accommodation booking and full package services but unfortunately only with corporate clients due to the hands on approach we take in all aspects of our business. If you would like to know more about ecocabs cycles corporate support please see here.
- Shortly Bridge
- Rowlands Gill