Sandstone Way Cycle Route
Experience Northern England’s most beautiful landscapes when you travel along the Sandstone Way Cycle Route. Bask in the iconic breath-taking scenery of the pink cliffs, crags and outcrops that are characteristic of the region, as you cycle 120 miles from Berwick to Hexham.
This undemanding route is ideal for novice cyclists. The mixture of dirt tracks, bridleways and byways, linking to minor roads, will help you to build cycling skills and the confidence needed to challenge yourself further on future rides. The journey will take you through many picturesque towns and villages, whilst allowing you to experience the scenery and local life of this area’s hidden beauty’s.
Starting your adventure in Berwick-Upon-Tweed, along the dirt tracks that line the stunning cliff tops along the seafront. The route then leads across the minor roads above, still showcasing the magnificent views of the North Sea, before heading down into the countryside.
On this self-guided tour, you will be provided with the necessary GPS information and maps to get you to the finish line safely and efficiently. Should you come across any unpredictable circumstances or you simply take a wrong turn, just give us a call on the number provided and we will be able to offer support and the guidance needed to get you back on track.
The beauty of a self-guided tour is that you can go completely at your own pace. You can stop at as many of the stunning scenic locations along the way you wish to – many telling a fascinating cultural, historical and geological tale. We urge you to take a moment to enjoy the Gateway to the Cheviots at the small, attractive stone-built town of Wooler – a rest certainly worth having. Whilst travelling through the traditional market town of Rothbury, you will pass by the Brinkburn Priory – built in the 12th century and one of the best examples of early Gothic architecture in the whole of Northumberland. If you wish to take a lengthy break in the town of Bellingham then Hareshaw Linn Walk is a stunning 2.5 mile walk through the breathtaking countryside, which passes the remains of an old ironworks and comes to an end at a magnificent 30 foot waterfall. From Bellingham to the recommended stop point of Biddlestone it is a further 2 hour cycle, if this is a site you don’t want to miss, alternate accommodation can be suggested for you.
The final leg of the adventure includes tricky grass hills, followed by steep twisting roads and plenty of off road cycling. The path then leads back on-road and into the historic town of Hexham where you will finish your journey.
This tour usually takes place over the weekend, but if you would prefer to do a midweek trip, or if you want to make amendments and design your own tour entirely, then please do get in touch and we’ll be happy to assist you with your expectations and plans.
What We Can Offer
- Bike transfer from Tynemouth or Newcastle Central Station to Berwick-Upon-Tweed to start your trip (other pick up locations available on request)
- All baggage transfers between accommodation
- Route Maps and GPX file
- List of bike shops and places to visit en-route
- Phone support available from 7am to 10pm daily
- Emergency support – to help you in your moment of need
- Transfer from Hexham to Newcastle at the end of the experience
- Transfer for riders and bikes to your home or accommodation
- Views of Sandstone crag in Kyloe Woods and the outcrop of St Cuthbert’s cave
- A gentle climb onto artillery-scattered moorland before reaching Rothbury
- Travel through quaint villages, historic market towns and bustling cities
Why Choose This Route?
- Varied terrain along its whole length offering a great contrast for newer cyclists
- Exciting loops and more challenging lines veering further into the Northumberland National Park
- Beauty spots along the route with time to explore at your leisure
The Sandstone Cycle Way route can take anywhere between 1 to 3 days to complete. It is important that your evening accommodation is reached in a safe, enjoyable manner, therefore we can provide you with a few recommendations for you to consider depending on your planned daily mileage.
ecocabs and ecocabs cycles work both in the public and private sectors, working with some of the largest employers in the North East. We can offer accommodation booking and full package services but unfortunately only with corporate clients due to the hands on approach we take in all aspects of our business. If you would like to know more about ecocabs cycles corporate support please see here.