Tynemouth to Kielder
This wonderful route from Tynemouth to Kielder, is a section taken from the fantastic Reivers Cycle Route. Keeping the excitement and thrill of the full route but in a more compact journey, makes it more enjoyable for riders less experienced in long-distance bike rides.
Starting in the historic village of Tynemouth, you will follow the quiet roads of route 72, through the urban landscape surrounding Newcastle Upon Tyne. You will venture into old coal mining villages and suburban residential estates, before journeying on National Route 10 into the beautiful open countryside and the charming village of Stamfordham – where we recommend you take rest for the evening. There are limited dining choices in Stamfordham, so if you would like to dine outside of your accommodation we can arrange transport for you. Alternatively you could visit The Plough Inn, a local pub and restaurant, offering traditional British cuisine alongside homemade pizzas.
Once rested, you will begin your next day by continuing on Route 10, along traffic free trails with scenic views to the North of the broad Cheviot Skyline, before reaching the town of Bellingham – home of Hareshaw Linn. The Hareshaw Linn Walk is a stunning 2.5 mile trek through the breathtaking countryside, which passes the remains of an old ironworks and comes to an end at a magnificent 30 foot waterfall. If this is a site you don’t want to miss and wish to extend your journey, alternate accommodation can be recommended for you.
Your final journey along this delightful route will take you to Kielder Water and Forest. A truly spectacular destination, where you can enjoy the serene woodland area, breath in the clean fresh air of the English countryside and watch fish jumping across the reservoir. There is a bounty of tea rooms, coffee shops, pubs and restaurants to visit for refreshments. If sweet treats are your thing then why not try Wafflemeister? Here you will be spoilt for choice with their collection of 16 ice cream flavours. Another option is the beautiful Boat Inn, with its plethora of panoramic waterside views for you to take in whilst enjoying a light snack or something more substantial.
We can fully support your ride from start to finish, by supplying bike transport to the start point and collection at the end of your journey. Baggage transfers can also be arranged and delivered to your chosen accommodation along the route ahead of your arrival.
What We Can Offer
- Bike transfer from Newcastle Central Station to Tynemouth harbour to start your trip (other pick up locations available on request)
- All baggage transfers between accommodation
- Route Maps and GPX file
- List of bike shops and places to visit en-route
- Phone support available from 7am to 10pm daily
- Emergency support – to help you in your moment of need
- Transfer from Kielder to Newcastle at the end of the experience
- Transfer for riders and bikes to your home or accommodation
- An enjoyable urban route through coal mining towns and charming villages.
- Enjoy scenic views of the Cheviot Skyline
- Finishing the journey at the amazing Kielder Water and Forest.
- Opportunity to extend your journey to enjoy the wondrous Hareshaw Linn Walk
Why Choose This Route?
- An interesting and quiet route which passes through glorious countryside, as well as urban landscaped
- This is an on-road route, superb for cyclists to maintain a good rhythm throughout the journey
- The scenery is superb throughout and hills relatively manageable, making it accessible to a greater range of fitness levels
The Tynemouth to Kielder route can take anywhere between 1 to 3 days to complete. It is important that your evening accommodation is reached in a safe, enjoyable manner, therefore we can provide you with a few recommendations for you to consider depending on your planned daily mileage.
ecocabs and ecocabs cycles work both in the public and private sectors, working with some of the largest employers in the North East. We can offer accommodation booking and full package services but unfortunately only with corporate clients due to the hands on approach we take in all aspects of our business. If you would like to know more about ecocabs cycles corporate support please see here.